We aim to enable the children to develop:
- the capacity to observe and learn about the world in which they live, by engaging in first hand observation of the both the natural and the man made environment.
- the ability to communicate ideas and feelings in visual form.
In order to achieve this we encourage the children:
- to develop the capacity for imaginative and original thought and experimentation.
- to study and evaluate their own work and that of their peers, the work of other artists, craftspeople and designers and a variety of art forms from a range of cultures and to respond thoughtfully, critically and imaginatively to these by communicating their ideas and feelings.
Art will be taught as part of topic work but certain elements may be taught as discrete units of work.
The children will be given opportunities:
- to work with a variety of materials and mediato develop their skills of drawing, painting, print making, sculpture, collage and clay.
- to learn to use a range of tools and techniques sensibly and safely.